Sept 25, 2011: This is an old post, I don’t even know if all the links are working. I could update it with new (and worse) information, but frankly don’t have the heart to. I gave up on Italy several years ago.
Some Sobering Articles About Living in Italy
- The Fading Future Of Italy’s Young
- Reverence for the past is stifling the present
- When in Rome, plan to go home
- A holiday in Italy can make you wish you lived there – but the reality, says Sebastian Cresswell-Turner, is that it’s a land of almost unbridled anarchy
- The slavery of teaching English
- Why you shouldn’t count on your language to make a living.
- Addio, Dolce Vita
- The Economist on what’s really going on in Italy.
- The true cost of la dolce vita
- Some foreigners’ sobering experiences.
- Americans Working Overseas May See Big Jump in Tax Bill
- Wall Street Journal on how the US government wants to make it even harder for Americans to live overseas.
- Empty playgrounds in an aging Italy – Europe – International Herald Tribune
- Europe’s declining birthrates have been particularly profound in Genoa, Italy.
- The Allure of Italy’s Lakes – New York Times
- There goes the neighborhood…
- Empty playgrounds in an aging Italy – Europe – International
- Italians Don’t Like Italy Any More
- Corriere.it Feb, 2006
One Italian in three wants to move abroad. Figures for young people cause most concern with 55% wanting to relocate. Survey carried out by Eurispes.
Blogs of Other Foreigners Who Live in Italy
(or Wish They Did)
NB: Most of these I’m aware of because they link back to me (hint hint); I don’t necessarily have time to keep up with them all!